FARN - Fundación Ambiente y Recursos Naturales
FARN promotes sustainable development through policy, law and the institutional organization of society, working as a voice of advocacy before public and prívate decisión makers.
Our mission is the construction of a democratic, participative society which incorporates sustainable strategies in its public policies by fostering knowledge-building and conscientiousness in the areas of sustainable development, governance, environmental policy, pollution, conservation, trade, corporate social responsibility and social inclusion.
- To foster consensus building in public and private policies relevant to their objectives.
- To train social leaders in questions of sustainable development at the public and private level.
- To promote access to information and participation in decision-making processes.
- To disseminate and promote the necessary legal instruments to allow citizens to take an active part in defending their rights.
- To promote the creation of instruments to help ensure improved conduct by authorities and citizens in environmental enforcement and compliance.
- Public Participation.
- Trade and Sustainability.
- Environmental Policy and Governance.
Address: Sanchez de Bustamante 27
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
54 11 4865-1707
Since 2006, the Legal Clinic on Environmental Law organised by FARN and the University of Buenos Aires (UBA) offers free legal counselling to individuals and communities affected by environmental issues and whose access to justice to advocate for their right to a healthy environment has been particularly restricted. Cases of public interest that can serve as legal precedents to strengthen case law by means of social and institutional impact are given top priority.
Climate change is one of the biggest challenges faced by the human race. FARN plays an active role in tracking and developing public policies aimed at fighting climate change, both locally and at international level.
Since 2002, we have been committed to implementing different institutional actions targeted at cleaning up the contaminated Riachuelo river basin. This basin extends across 64 km, around the City of Buenos Aires and 14 municipalities in the province of Buenos Aires, in an area with approximately 6 million people.
The 15th edition of FARN Environmental Report was published in 2023. Our organisation’s signature annual publication is deemed as one of the most current and ongoing documents in terms of environmental issues in Argentina.
Our efforts are aimed at advocating for the wetlands and other ecosystems present in the Matanza-Riachuelo river basin, as these areas are key to the process of cleaning up the basin, which was legally ordered by Argentinian judicial authorities back in 2008.
Our main goal is to support Indigenous communities in advocating for their land and environmental rights in a context where lithium mining is now jeopardising their livelihood and the ecosystems they inhabit.